Ujazdowski Castle, near Lazienki Park in the Ujazdów district, dates back to the twelfth century. It served as a residence to the Princes of Mazowie and the Polish oligarchs before being destroyed by the communist regime in 1954. A reconstruction faithful to the original was undertaken in the 1980's with the castle getting a new lease of life upon the installation of the Centre for Contemporary Art within its walls.
The Centre has become a high temple of culture in Poland presenting exhibitions, workshops and performances. The Centre for Contemporary Art is composed of a library, a video library and a bookshop.