A Romanesque church replaced an existing basilica already built on this site in the first part of the thirteenth century. The west portal of the original church still remains.
Most of the fourteenth century was taken up with work on the Gothic construction. In 1469, a papal bull established the bishopric of Vienna and this place of worship was promoted to a cathedral.
The refinement of its decoration, the elegance of its proportions and its planning combined to make St. Stephen's Cathedral one of the most significant heritage sites in Vienna. So much so that when the bombings of World War II reduced the cathedral to ruins, the whole city became involved in the reconstruction of this emblematic building seven years later.
Photo credits: Grossard - viaFrance
St. Stephen's Cathedral
00 43 515 52 3767