The original Château Royal in Tours (royal castle), which was partially wooden, seems to have been built in the Carolingian period (before 886) by Abbot Hugues. That building was replaced in the middle of the eleventh century by a bigger castle made of stone, and built up against the Gallo-Roman fortification. It consisted of a large hall and square tower. The current Château Royal in Tours is attributed to the House of Anjou (Geoffroy Martel), who took over Touraine in 1044 replacing Thibault de Blois.
The Guise Tower dungeon and the cylindrical tower called the Cachot Secret (Secret Dungeon) flanked the western corner of the Royal Castle. The castle was surrounded by a moat and another wall that enclosed a lower court. Its name refers to the capture of the young Duke de Guise who escaped in 1591.
Tours Royal Castle - Château royal de Tours
25, avenue André-Malraux
02 47 64 29 52