The Capitoline Museums (Musei Capitolini) are made up of the Palazzo dei Conservatori and the Palazzo Nuovo on the Piazza del Campidoglio. The Capitoline Museums were created in 1471 in order to display valuable bronze statues given by Pope Sixtus IV to the Roman people. These are very important works that bear witness to the city's history, including the Capitoline Wolf, the Camillus, and the gigantic head of Constantine. The museums opened under Pope Clement XII in 1734. Many masterpieces can be seen in these museums, which have fine collections of Italian and European paintings from the Middle Ages to the 18th century, and 18th century sculptures in particular.
Photo credits: Grossard - viaFrance
Capitoline Museums - Musei Capitolini
Piazza del Campidoglio, 1
00 39 060608