The convent was founded in 1557 by Jane of Austria, daughter of Carlos 1st and Isabelle of Portugal.
In fact, the barefoot Franciscans moved into the former palace. The majestic classical building houses a museum that exhibits major works of art.
Photo credits: © ViaFrance - C. Garton
Monastery of Barefoot Royals - Monasterio de las Descalzas Reales
Plaza de las Descalzas
00 34 454 88 00