On a visit to Rio in 1934, the then cardinal of Lisbon was filled with admiration for the famous Christ the Redeemer of Corcovado. In 1940, following the outbreak of the Second World War, Portuguese bishops meeting in Fátima promised that if the country was spared during the conflict, they would give their unanimous agreement for a similar monument to be built.
Portugal was not to take part in the war, and this longed for “sign from above” resulted in this great monument being built in 1959. The 110 metre tall statue overlooks the Tagus estuary and watches over the City of the Seven Hills from the Almada, on the other side of the river.
Photo credits: Santuário do Cristo Rei - Monuments Lisbon - Grossard - viaFrance
Santuário do Cristo Rei
Avenida Cristo Rei
00 351 212 751 000
00 351 212 751 270