The Reichstag, seat of the German Bundestag, is one of the most emblematic monuments of Berlin. Its new glass dome was finally accepted by the Berliners after much criticism of it during reconstruction of the building between 1994 and 1999, after it was wrapped by artists Christo and Jeanne-Claude. Reflecting the turbulent history of Germany since the 19th century, the building was built by Paul Wallot from 1884 to 1894 to house the parliament, and the Republic was declared from its balcony in 1918. Only since reunification and long after the fire at the building which was a key political moment used by the Nazis, was the Reichstag restored without its famous dome. The dome was later added by architect Sir Norman Forster. Since 1999, the Reichstag has once more been the seat of the German parliament.
Photo credits: Grossard – viaFrance