First known as "cattle square", Alexanderplatz was used as a cattle market around 1700, before the visit of Tzar Alexander II, in whose honour the square was renamed. At the beginning of the 20th century, the place stopped being used as a platform for commerce and became an important junction for public transport. It gained an international reputation with the publication of Alfred Döblin's Berlin Alexanderplatz (1929). It was destroyed during the Second World War and then became the centre of East Berlin. In 1969, a World Time clock and a fountain were erected on it in homage to friendship between peoples.
Photo credits: © visitBerlin, Foto: Wolfgang Scholvien